Thursday, July 31, 2008

Chinese Political Satire Has a Long Way to Go

Brought to my attention by Big Will, these Chinese political cartoons are quite funny, if you consider just how inane and unfunny they are. Apparently most of them poke fun at the west, and especially the US. And while most of them deal with real and serious issues such as the income gap in China and US oil consumption, they just about completely miss their marks.

Now, in defense of the cartoonists, these appear to all be taken from mainland English Language news sources, and the cartoonists are not native speakers. Humor, is I think, probably the most difficult thing to understand and translate into a second language. But still, these cartoons are just silly!

My personal favorite is the oil consumption one I linked to above. The wife, commiserating with her hubby, says: "My dear, now I know how you feel when you enter the oil station." Awesome...

I guess when it's very difficult to skewer your own government or leaders for fear of punishment or being branded unpatriotic, you go where you can.

Any thoughts?

No comments: