Thursday, July 31, 2008

Blogging in China

As I am sure you are all aware, China's internet is censored. This is done by a system known as the "Great Firewall", or GFW (More info: Fallows ). The GFW allows the Chinese government to prevent netizens over here from accessing websites that it considers subversive, or too difficult to monitor/control. Included amongst these sites is Blogger, which I am using now, and many of the news sources I access on a regular basis.

I am able to access all these sites quite easily by using a program called Witopia personalVPN, which, in layman's terms, tunnels under the GFW (Witopia). This also allows me to use flickr, which though not exactly blocked, often has trouble displaying images over here. It is, to put it mildly, a valuable resource over here, especially for someone who needs a constant flow of information like I do.

No comments: