Friday, August 1, 2008

The Current State of Internet Controls

So I am right now being surprised by China's internet controls. I am accessing blogger without the benefit of a VPN, which is a first for me. A quick check revealed that the website of Amnesty International is also open for me to check out, which comes as a huge shock, considering the news out of the Olympic press center yesterday. I honestly can't remember any other time I've been able to access Amnesty's site unchecked, but it's not like I am trying every day or anything. Maybe the reporting on this forced the issue a little bit?

In my short, and so far surprising check of various commonly blocked websites, I have seen the Great Fire Wall act as never before; if I try to access, say, the commonly blocked chinadigitaltimes through google reader, it will block anything related to google for about 5 minutes.

Also, apparently yesterday a Korean camera crew recorded some of the dress rehearsals for the opening ceremony. If I try to watch the clip on youtube (or a more recent one or here)it gets all of youtube blocked for a few minutes. However, if I just go to youtube and watch a random video, no problem. It seems that perhaps the controls have been focused in in advance of the games.

1 comment:

Leo said...

Hi Tyler:
Great hearing about what's happening with you guys over there. Keep it coming!! I would be very interested in your assesment of China's ability to sustain the type of economic growth that they've had over the past years. Do you think they will be affected by the slowdown now being felt by the rest of the USA/Europe??
Leo