Sunday, August 3, 2008

Interesting Olympic News

First: I'm kicking off the Olympic season in style tomorrow, as I'll be taking in the USA-Russia game of the USA Basketball International Challenge. I am very pumped for this one, as it has got to be the greatest collection of sporting talent I'll ever see in one place (being a Bulls fan, I could make the argument that any of the Bulls games from the nineties that I attended beat this one out by having Jordan on the court, but I'll try to restrain my hyperbole). I've never seen any of the following players live before: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Lebron, Kobe, or Dwight Howard, so I am, I think, understandably excited. The game will be held at the Qizhong Forest Sports City Arena, home of the Shanghai Tennis Masters Cup.

Next, a couple of interesting Olympic related articles. The first is from the New York Times Sports magazine, and it profiles Chinese hurdler Liu Xiang. Liu is not especially well known in the US outside of track and field fans, but he is a gold medalist and world champion, and an unequaled sporting celebrity in China. In my unscientific analysis, Liu has more pressure on him than any other athlete in the world this year. Personally, I just think it's cool that he went to the same university in Shanghai that I attended for study abroad.

The Second comes from MinnPost.com and detailed an interesting interaction that a journalist had upon his recent arrival in Beijing. Apparently the journalist in question was politely told to "Write only good news", and "No politics". I found this one via the Shanghai Scrap blog, and I echo their sentiments in saying that the police officer's family background and high level English indicate he is only working the airport under the extraordinary circumstances of the Olympic season.

No comments: