Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thorns and Roses (or why the fu** aren't there any cabs in Shanghai tonight?!)

I've tried to add entries to this blog after thinking them through beforehand and then writing them down later, but it just doesn't work that way for me. So, in the interest of immediacy, I rant. When doing long backpacking trips we used to play a game called thorns and roses, in which you point out a rose, or something you're enjoying; and a thorn, something that's pissing you off.

A stock example of each for Shanghai would be that I love the variety of food (rose), but that babbling in Shanghainese dialect just isn't easy on the ears at 7:45 in the morning on the bus, ladies (thorn).

Why couldn't I find a taxi tonight from 9:55 to 10:35 in Xuhui District of Shanghai. The New Year's holidays are still more than a week away, so that excuse doesn't hold up. Never, in my time here, have I had this hard a time finding a cab. Even if it was New Years, all the cabbies are Shanghainese, so they aren't going to leave, and since there are 60,000 of them, why would they take time off when there is lots of money to be made.

I ended up taking two buses home (and they were stuffed, just like rush hour, except at 10:40 at night). So I am left extraordinarily pissed off, and wondering what the hell? Even on Christmas, and (Gregorian) New Year's, the longest I waited for a cab was 15 minutes. If it was something I knew about in advance, no worries, that's okay, I can make arrangements to not be 4 miles from home in sub-zero weather. But no, thanks to you, Shanghai, it all seems completely random and designed to piss me off.

3 comments:

Leo said...

Did you ever wonder why that game was really played? Was it just to a way to keep you busy and occupied or??

Tyler said...

I think there was a two-fold reason for playing that game. For one, on some of those trips we would be spread out over large distances on the trail or a mile apart in the lakes of the Boundary Waters, so it was a bonding exercise at the end of the day in which our experiences as smaller groups could be shared with the larger group.

The second reason, the one for which this blog was written, is just to have a good avenue to vent. Instead of letting your pet peeves add up and make you start hating the trip, every night you had a relief valve, so to speak, where you could get anything off your chest, and the others wouldn't care what you said because they were getting ready to unleash their 'thorns' as well. It helped that we were all pretty good friends before the trips, I guess.

Leo said...

I believe your right on both accounts. It was a good way to get each person in the group talking and bonding as a unit.

Individually though, how can you ever know your "roses unless you know how to recognize your thorns? For me personally, I am working on finding the opportunities in the "Thorns" because I believe that is where you grow and expand yourself outside of your comfort zone.